Mold Prevention Ideas
This checklist is an excerpt from Mold Free Construction and should become part of any IAQ Management Plan.
- Keep the premises clean and regularly dust, vacuum, and mop.
- Install an efficient air purification system in your office to maintain good indoor air quality and reduce dust. This would require installation of air filtration/purification equipment in the HVAC system(s), general living areas and moisture prone areas.
- Use hood vents when cooking, cleaning, and dishwashing.
- Keep closet doors ajar, where possible, to increase airflow in the closets or install vented doors.
- Avoid excessive amounts of indoor plants.
- Use exhaust fans when bathing/showering.
- Leave exhaust fans on long enough to remove moisture from the room.
- Use ceiling fans.
- Avoid drying clothes by hang drying indoors.
- Open blinds/curtains to allow light into premises.
- Securely close shower doors, when showering.
- Leave bathroom and shower door open after use.
- Regularly scan the ceiling for evidence of roof leaks. Periodically check the air conditioning vents to be sure they are clean.
- Change the air conditioning filter regularly.
- Wipe down windows and sills if moisture is present.
- Regularly inspect for leaks under the sinks and around the washing machine and water heater.
- Check all washer hoses and outside garden hose connections.
- Answer this question regularly and check for the signs of mold: “if I were mold and liked moisture, where would I feel most comfortable to set up a home and build a family?”